Appealing a Conviction or Sentence by the Crown Court

Are you or a member of your family serving a prison sentence for a crime you did not commit? Were you let down by your solicitor? Are you looking to appeal?

As a leading company of criminal solicitors we are often contacted by clients who describe a disappointing level of service from their previous solicitors, or by family members who want to do all they can to try to get them out. Being convicted of an offence you did not commit is a devastating experience and it is vital that you seek help from a solicitor who has a great deal of experience in the criminal appeals process.

Can anybody appeal a decision in the Crown Court?

In order to appeal a conviction or sentence you will need to seek leave (or permission) to appeal. This is usually done to a single high court judge at the court of appeal, but in some circumstances the judge who heard the case can also be asked to issue a certificate that the case is fit for appeal. In order to obtain leave to appeal you must demonstrate that there are grounds of appeal.

What are grounds of appeal?

The grounds of appeal are, in effect the reasons or arguments why the conviction or sentence was wrong. For example where a judge has made a mistake in relation to the law or where there was a material irregularity during the trial or where there is fresh evidence.

Are their time limits to appeal?

Yes, you must apply for leave to appeal within 28 days of the date you were convicted if you are appealing the conviction (even if you were sentenced at a later date) or within 28 days of the sentence if you are appealing against the sentence.

Why Burton Copeland

Very few firms of solicitors have vast experience in dealing with appeals. Here at Burton Copeland we have a specialist team of lawyers with a wealth of experience of investigating wrongful convictions and miscarriages of justice nationally. Please contact us using the form on the left or call us on 0161 827 9500 to discuss you needs further.