Compliance Partner & Supervising Solicitor
Daniel qualified as a solicitor in 2000 becoming a Salaried Partner in 2006, and holds Rights of Audience in Higher Courts. He has taken the roles of a Police Station Accreditation Supervisor and General Crime Supervisor and after becoming Equity Partner in 2009, became the Firm’s nominated Compliance Officer for Legal Practice. Daniel deals with all aspects of risk and compliance within the Firm as well as having a role in the management and development of the firm generally and having a full time case load.
Daniel has gained experienced in many disciplines over the years including Magistrates Advocacy,, Prison law, preparing Crown Court cases and Professional Discipline. The majority of his defence work now centres around criminal and Misconduct matters after being instructed by Police Federations to advise their members, and has developed a relationship with LIM Insurance, along with other members of the Firm, which has allowed a number of streams of regulatory type work being introduced to the Firm.
Daniel has provided advice and represented professionals including members of the legal and medical profession, journalists, and police officers. He was named individually in the Legal 500 in 2018 and quoted as being “very knowledgeable in police law”.
- Represented two Police Officers jointly accused of various breaches of their standards of professional behaviour. The case involved legal arguments regarding admissibility of evidence, the incident was captured on CCTV and although the disciplinary panel found the case proven in part for one of the clients, but not proven in relation to the other. Both individuals remain in post.
- Represented three Police Officers jointly accused of Gross Misconduct. Matters was not proceeded with by the Misconduct Panel due to issue relating to disclosure.
- Successful in representing a Police Officer within Misconduct Proceedings with regards to issues of honesty and integrity. We were able to advance exceptional circumstances on the client’s behalf with the assistance of medical evidence and character evidence which allowed the disciplinary panel to take the unusual and rare stance of allowing the client to remain in position and impose only a Final Written Warning.
- Represented a Police Officer charged with Gross Misconduct in relation to breaches of her professional standards in terms of data protection. Gross Misconduct not found against the client and client sanctioned for misconduct only causing no dismissal.
- Represented a Police Officer for Gross Incompetence, matter proceeded to full hearing and no findings found against individual.
- Represented a Police Officer for Gross Misconduct in relation to the issue of honesty and integrity, initially considered Perverting the Course of Justice in relation to making of a statement. No charges brought for Perverting the Course of Justice and case not proven at Misconduct Hearing.
- Represented a Police Officer where Gross Misconduct was found but received a Final Written Warning. A successful appeal at the Police Appeals Tribunal followed Daniel has regular success in preventing matters often getting to the doors of the Court or Misconduct Hearings.
R v S: Successfully defended a Police Officer charged with assault. A conviction would have inevitably caused the client to lose his profession. A number of witnesses, some of whom worked with the client gave evidence for the prosecution. There was CCTV evidence regarding the case and disclosure issues which led to disclosure application under Section 8 of Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act. The matter was heard over two days before a District Judge.
R v B: Represented a client linked to gang land murder, charged with possession of a firearm. As solicitor advocate he successfully argued exceptional circumstances not to receive the minimum sentence of 5 years imprisonment. The client received a suspended sentence.
R v N: Represented a youth charged with possession with intent to supply class A drugs. Argued that it was not a grave crime and matter remained in the Youth Court. Client acquitted after trial.
R v D: Represented a youth charged with murder of his brother-in-law. Acquitted of murder after trial.
R v P: Represented a youth without convictions charged with night-time robbery where positive ID was made. Successfully discredited ID evidence. Client acquitted after trial.
R v A: Client without convictions charged with possession of indecent images. Not guilty verdicts recorded.
R v J: Represented a professional sportsman remanded into custody due to serious offences committed whilst on bail for similar offences. Successfully argued for bail.
R v K: Represented a client charged with multi handed Conspiracy to people traffic linked to ‘sham marriages.’ CPS offered no evidence.
R v W: Represented a Police Officer charged with Conspiracy to Defraud. Proceeded to trial. Co defendant pleaded guilty. Client acquitted after trial
R v R: Represented a Police Officer charged with Common Assault (stranger attack on female). Client acquitted after trial.
R v RC: Represented a Police Officer with Perverting the Course of Justice. Successful in an application to Dismiss the charges. Thereafter successful in defending a Judicial Review brought against the individual by the complainant’s in the case.
R v M: Represented a Police Officer for Assault, matter was on CCTV. Convicted but successful on Appeal.
Following a breach of Health and Safety Regulations in 2011 EPL received a substantial fine which was due to be paid by December 2020. Following a hearing and review of the companies finances which took place at Crewe Magistrates Court, Burton Copeland Solicitor Dan Weed managed to secure a significant reduction in the fine and an extension to the payment terms of a further two years. The outcome of the hearing was way beyond our expectations for which we remain extremely grateful.
JN – Managing Director of EPL.
Jeff Norris – Google Review
I have recently required the services of Burton Copeland LLP. My solicitor assigned was Daniel Weed. He went above and beyond for us, even returned to court to represent us for a second time, free of charge, when the case date was changed on the day of the first hearing. Cannot recommend him enough.
Hunter Irwin Security Specialist – Google review
I would not hesitate to recommend this company to anyone requiring legal representation. I was fortunate to have Mr Daniel weed as my solicitor and I found him to be friendly, patient, knowledgeable and professional at all times.
He always got back to me quickly , to keep me updated, answer any queries or simply to offer much needed reassurance during what has been a very frightening and stressful time in my life.
My case was won as the prosecution offered no evidence however Dan ensured that my defense was well prepared and left no stone unturned.
I also met with Nick Terry who was also very helpful, kind and professional.
They also employed the services of an excellent barrister Ciaran Rankin who very knowledgeable, friendly and reassuring . I felt in safe hands throughout.
Mark Johnson – Google review
Absolutely amazing solicitors dealt with my case very quickly, communicating with me at all times and putting me and my partner at ease. Mr Daniel Weed was my solicitor extremely professional and I would definitely recommend him and the company to anyone especially foster carers dealing with allegations thanks again.
Keith Scott – Google review
Brilliant law firm. Tremendous. Yvonne, Gwyn and Daniel amongst the others are truly superb professionals who are extremely diligent and ethical and deliver results. Thank you.
AD – Google review
Couldn’t recommend Dan and his team enough, they were excellent and couldn’t be faulted.
Alex Merrett – Google review
Couldn’t thank Louise Straw and Daniel Weed enough. Efficient and professional. Kept me updated every step of the way, and got me through the most awful year and a half of my life with the best results.
Would highly recommend and I will be forever grateful